Today marks the start of my 8th week at the Houston Ballet Academy. I cannot believe it has already been two months. It feels like just yesterday when I arrived here. Recently, I’ve had a lot of time to think (a rare, but special, occurrence) about my future. Starting at a very young age, dancers are taught about how they have to have a Plan B for their jobs. A dancer’s career isn’t going to last forever, being ended by things such as age, injury, or even a lack of passion. When I was younger, I told myself all that complicated thinking was stuff for the future. Well, this is it. I’ve realised that this is the time for me to start making my Plan B. And thinking about this has also led me to ponder what my life would be like had I not been a dancer. I wonder if I would’ve picked one of the careers I have as options for Plan B as my Plan A. There are lots of things I could do. Wow. If only I applied myself. Without further ado, here is my attempt at being organised for the future:
- Broadway: Ever since I was little, it has been a dream of mine to be on Broadway someday. I used to tell people that when I was a big boy, I was going to be a crane driver by day and fly on stage by night. Thank goodness I soon understand there was a lack of thrill in industrious work, but the other part still remains true. My family has a strong tradition of going to see musicals together, and they’ve been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. It would be a thrill to perform in a Broadway musical someday. Singing is surprisingly something I really enjoy doing, for those of you who are new to Paul.
- Food: Since I was born in France and frequently travel, food has been a very prominent thing in my life. For one, I really enjoy cooking for myself and others. You can really put a lot of love into what you make, and truly see a good outcome from it. I’ve taken a couple of French cooking classes in Cucuron, France at an amazing French restaurant, La Petite Maison de Cucuron. I’d love to someday own a restaurant or bakery and share my love I put in my food with many people everyday. On the other hand, I really enjoy eating food and sharing pictures of it. If you’ve ever seen my photos on Instagram or facebook, you know this to be true. I love eating gourmet food and trying new exotic things. I’d love if I could do that for a living.
- Clothes: I’ve always been pretty involved with clothes my whole life. I tend to spend a lot of time picking out outfits, shopping, and sewing. I love giving people fashion advice, so being a personal shopper would be another fun job. I consider myself to have a good fashion sense, and I could help people find outfits that look and feel good. I’ve also been interested in costume design, especially for theatrical productions. Even though I can’t draw, I still try anyways and it’s always fun. I designed and made costumes for the two “backyard productions” I did in elementary school, with the help of my lovely grandmother.
- Events: Recently, I’ve been thinking a lot about planning events, especially weddings. I’ve always wanted to have a big, elaborate wedding, and it’s something I planned when I was very young. Since I like to have a lot of control over things, I would love getting to plan big events and get every detail right. Even though I’m not normally, in these situations I am very specific, organised, and thorough. I could see myself planning many fun and organised events in the future.
- Teaching: Lastly is one of my favorites. I love helping other people out, and helping them learn things. I feel like teaching would be a great way to do this. Teachers are people I have always look up to, and I want to be that person for someone someday. I consider it one of the most important careers possible. As a teacher, you are shaping young people’s minds and helping them to grow up to be educated and kind humans. I’d love to create more happiness and openness in the world by helping students.
Who knows what I will do in the future after my dance career, but I’m excited to see if any of these end up being a reality.